From Inception to Icon: The Evolution of Neon Signs
Neon signs have been a sought-after business promotional medium since the 1960s. Custom neon signs are often used for signs and advertisements due to their attractiveness. But, they can be utilized for different reasons.
Neon-colored signs can have an enormous impact on your company, from the simple “Open” display on the front of the store to the flashing lights in Las Vegas.
The history of neon signs
The story of custom neon signs starts before the term “neon” was discovered. Heinrich Geissler, a German scientist who also was a glassblower, began to test a tube that contained rarefied gases in 1855. The tube’s gas was placed under low pressure and electrical voltage was applied and the result was that the gas began to light up. This discovery would lead to the neon signs we are now able to recognize.
After finding neon gas in the Geissler tubes, British scientists William Ramsay (British) and Morris W. Travers (American) would discover it for the first time in 1898. But Georges Claude, a French engineer, didn’t bring neon signs into America until 1923.
The neon lighting became quickly a favored fixture for outdoor advertising. Its attention-grabbing glow quickly spread throughout the United States. Motels and restaurants were employing neon signs for almost all of their establishments and neon lights were illuminating the highways throughout America. Because of its rising popularity, neon signs become cheaper and more accessible for small-scale businesses across the country.
The major markets, like New York City and Las Vegas, utilized the new technology and lit up their bustling streets with illuminating neon signs. Advertisers looking for a low-cost way to attract the attention of all people who saw the sign were impressed by its outstanding visibility.
The Benefits of Neon Signs
- High Visibility Neon signs are perfect for new or small businesses that require their signs to stand out among the rest
- Make your night more enjoyable with a neon sign The neon sign is observed at all hours of the day. It is great for establishments that provide late-night take-out food or other nightlife options.
- It saves energy – The neon lights are efficient in energy use. Neon lights can save as much as 50% – 60% of energy in comparison to conventional lighting.
- Long-lasting – Neon signs which are constructed properly have a long shelf life. Custom neon signs can last between ten and twelve years.
- Neon Signs are Useable anywhere – if you’ve got the perfect promotion idea the neon signs are safe and can be used inside or outside of your business.
What is the reason for Bartush?
While neon’s high-visibility factor is what makes it extremely well-known, it is challenging to work with and businesses often have difficulty finding a manufacturer that has the skills and experience needed to meet their strict standards. At Bartush, we are the neon experts.
Bartush is among the few sign manufacturers left in the area that is capable of producing the high-quality neon signs that your business deserves. Bartush has been in business for over 75 years. Our skilled artisans are accustomed to working with neon. We offer a full-service. Bartush can assist you with your design needs. Once we and you create your concept, we install your sign to ensure that the signs are sturdy and can deliver.
Contact us now if you would like to brighten up your business by putting up neon signs. We’re happy to help you.